You are here
We'll Teach You How to Teach!
Shawnee Mountain offers ITC, our Instructor Training Course that will teach you how to be a ski/snowboard instructor. Anyone can take the course and the best part is that it's FREE!
We use the American Teaching System approved by the Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA) to ensure that our Shawnee Mountain instructors are armed with the skills necessary to teach and create a great experience for all of our guests.
Is ITC For You?
If you are anyone over the age of 14 then YES it is! We are looking for skiiers and snowboarders and you don't have to have any experience; we will teach you how to ski or ride FOR FREE! We are hiring both full and part time positions with flexible schedules so anyone can come teach here at Shawnee Mountain.
What's In It For You?
Instructors at Shawnee Mountain enjoy many employee benefits such as:
- Free jacket!
- Get taught how to ski/snowboard for free
- Employee discounts at the Ski Shop, Hope Cafeteria, Hickory Licks restaurant, and the Trepp Lodge cafeteria (50% off food and beverage and 10% off at retail shop)
- FREE SKIING/RIDING all season long!
- Free ski/snowboard clinics throughout the year
- Flexible work schedule, full or part time, day or night!
- For every 12 hours you teach you will receive a FREE ticket to use for ANYONE- can keep accruing throughout the season
- Performance based pay- Work Hard & get a raise!
What You'll Learn at Shawnee
Shawnee utilizes the American Teaching System approved by the Professional Ski Instructors of America
The American Teaching System, or ATS, is a progression oriented, outcome based and student centered teaching format. ATS gives our instructors and ski school a format for consistency. ATS allows all instructors of all abilities in all disciplines a guideline for progressing or correcting movement patterns. Using ATS as a foundation for creating lesson plans will give you a base for adapting to any variety of students.
Principles and Philosophies of ATS
- Student Centered: The lesson topic is based on the student’s needs.
- Outcome Based: There should be an outcome to every lesson.
- Experiential: People learn by doing it not hearing about it.
- Learning Partnership Based: The student and instructor develop the lesson topic together.
- Guest Service Driven: Students are guests. They deserve a professional level of service.
Course Format & Dates
- Teaching Model - Instructor Behavior: Adaptive Teaching Model and Student Behavior: Background and Motivation, Learning Preferences, Attitude, etc.
- Skiing/Snowboarding Model - Skiing skills concept: balance, rotary, edging, pressure and Snowboarding skills concept: pivoting, pressure, tilting, twist
- Service Model - Meet and greet everyone and Effective communication
Enroll in our Instructor Training Course which will be held on December 5 & 6, 2020 and December 12 & 13, 2020.
This is a free training/hiring event. We will meet on those four days from approximately 9am to 3pm. If we are able to serve lunch per PA State Guidelines, trainees will all receive 50% off cafeteria food, or you can BYO lunch. Ski and snowboard equipment can be provided if needed for the training dates.
If you are planning to attend, you MUST register ahead of time for the training using the registration form below.